What is Vaginoplasty?
Vaginoplasty is a surgery that tightens the opening and walls of the vagina. Oftentimes after giving birth, a woman’s muscles and tissues in the area become lax and loose. This procedure restores the tightness and rejuvenates tone of a woman’s vaginal area.
Who would be a good candidate?
- A woman who has experienced vaginal stretching or tearing during childbirth
- A woman who has reduced friction and sensation during intercourse due to looseness in her vagina
- A woman who is aging and desires to restore a more youthful appearance
What can be expected during and after the surgery?
It is important to select a surgeon who is experienced in vaginoplasty surgery, so that the desired aesthetic and functional results are achieved. Vaginoplasty can be performed either in the Operating Room or in-office. The procedure usually takes about an hour to perform.
After the surgery, plan to take a few days off from work to recover. It will be important to take these precautions:
- Avoid prolonged sitting – keep the area rested and away from pressure
- Prevent infections and bacteria. Make sure to keep area clean and dry.
- Avoid using any creams or soaps for a few days
- Avoid tight clothing. Loose fitting clothes will help heal the area faster
- Light exercise for about 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Avoid having sex for 6 weeks, as it may cause trauma to the area
- Don’t use tampons, instead use pads or liners. Your doctor will advise you on timeline