What is Vaginoplasty?
Vaginoplasty is a surgery that tightens the opening and walls of the vagina. Oftentimes after giving birth, a woman’s muscles and tissues in the area become lax and loose. This procedure restores the tightness and rejuvenates tone of a woman’s vaginal area.
Who would be a good candidate?
- A woman who has experienced vaginal stretching or tearing during childbirth
- A woman who has reduced friction and sensation during intercourse due to looseness in her vagina
- A woman who is aging and desires to restore a more youthful appearance
What can be expected during and after the surgery?
It is important to select a surgeon who is experienced in vaginoplasty surgery, so that the desired aesthetic and functional results are achieved. Vaginoplasty can be performed either in the Operating Room or in-office. The procedure usually takes about an hour to perform.
After the surgery, plan to take a few days off from work to recover. It will be important to take these precautions:
- Avoid prolonged sitting – keep the area rested and away from pressure
- Prevent infections and bacteria. Make sure to keep area clean and dry.
- Avoid using any creams or soaps for a few days
- Avoid tight clothing. Loose fitting clothes will help heal the area faster
- Light exercise for about 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Avoid having sex for 6 weeks, as it may cause trauma to the area
- Don’t use tampons, instead use pads or liners. Your doctor will advise you on timeline
What are the Risks of Vaginoplasty Surgery?
As with any surgery, vaginoplasty has general risks such as bleeding and infections after the surgery. Some specific risks, though uncommon, include blood clots, vaginal stenosis, vaginal fistula, and peritonitis. Make sure to communicate with your doctor if you experience severe pain, swelling, or bleeding.
Before & After Pictures:
Click here to view some before and after vaginoplasty pictures. Remember that each individual results do vary.
Shonan Beauty Clinic
The physicians and staff at Shonan Beauty Clinic are committed to helping you understand vaginoplasty surgery. Contact us with any inquiries.